Thursday, March 12, 2009

Our imitation sonnet: an insight into the minds of my Grade 9s

I tried to get my Grade 9s to write imitation sonnet-dialogues. This one we wrote as a class (I wrote it, largely, but the characters, situation, and many ideas are from my Grade 9 boys). I think it provides an insight into the minds of many of my Grade 9s. Enjoy! (Warning: There may be racist overtones in this sonnet, but I think the black guy actually comes off as a more sympathetic character, as well as an intelligent one - he gets to use the one big word in the sonnet (emancipated).)

Black: If you were black like me, you would be cool;
We blacks can rap like no one else on earth.
My lips stand ready to proclaim, “You fool!”
If you cannot see our true race's worth.

Jonny: Good black man, you do wrong my race too much
which had your race enslaved to ours so long.
For it is better even to be Dutch
than to be black and hence by nature wrong.

Black: Well, we picked cotton for your clothes, so there!

Jonny: Ay, black man, now go pick some more for me.

Black: We've been emancipated, have a care!
Don't mess with me, for blacks have been set free...

Jonny: A great mistake, I fear – it's made you proud.

Black: You've hurt my feelings; that is not allowed. [stabs Jonny]

1 comment:

  1. "[stabs jonny]"
    well, he's got Shakespeare's dramatic edge and a firm grasp of ghetto culture.

    respect.

    ReplyDelete